A software center for Fedora

Giovanni Campagna scampa.giovanni at gmail.com
Sun Nov 27 15:23:40 UTC 2011

Il giorno dom, 27/11/2011 alle 16.18 +0100, Heiko Adams ha scritto:
> Am 27.11.2011 16:01, schrieb Reindl Harald:

> >> Welcome to the real world.
> >
> > i know and it is sad enough as it is now
> >
> > but is it really the right way to support this more than needed and
> > give all the lern-resistent peopole the feeling the are on the
> > right way?
> >
> > the world where we live currently was built from people who pulled
> > on their brain, was thankful that they can read and learn - i am
> > currently 34 years old and fear if the wrong direction of the last
> > years will be enforced more and more all knowledge will faster go
> > down than it was invited
> >
> > make things as easy as you can but not easier as needed
> >

> And a "software center" is IMHO walking in the wrong direction. The
> packagemanagement system is Linux biggest advantage for normal users.
> The right way should be making packaging as easy as possible so every
> vendor could ship packages for their linux software. Maybe some kind
> of meta specfile that could be used for build rpm *and* deb packages
> and some common standards for packaging would be more effective.

Ahem... I don't see you would contrast this with the package management.
As said earlier, the software center is a new and shiny way to present
the same old stuff (packagekit, yum, rpm), focusing on apps, icons,
screenshots, rather than package names and dependecies, but still doing
the same hard work.

Giovanni