A software center for Fedora

Angus Salkeld asalkeld at redhat.com
Sun Nov 27 23:17:27 UTC 2011

> On Sun, Nov 27, 2011 at 02:06:51AM +0100, Björn Persson wrote:
> > Gregory Maxwell wrote:
> > > Can someone help me understand whats being asked for here? I can
> > > only
> > > guess that I'm not the only person confused by this thread.
> >
> > Icons. The only thing I can see that Giovanni has mentioned that
> > Packagekit
> > doesn't provide is icons. Presumably he wants each application's
> > own icon to
> > be displayed in the list of available applications. Packagekit
> > seems to
> > display those only for installed packages, which is understandable
> > as it would
> > otherwise have to download all the packages and extract the icons.
>
> Being devil's advocate here, it's not just icons.  If you have a look
> at something like the Android Marketplace[1] you'll see there are:
>
>  - app summaries
>  - contributed reviews
>  - scores-out-of-5
>  - an indication of how many people downloaded each program
>  - "top" apps in various categories (however that is calculated)
>  - a good search engine

Another cool feature I think would be integration with our other fedora
infrastructure (bugs, updates-testing & feedback).

1) So you can see a list of bugs affecting a package at the time of installing

2) Also to get more people involved in testing updates you could set your self
   as a tester of a package and get notified of bugs & fixes to a package.

   Basically an easier interface to "A Glorious Vision of Our Shared Update Feedback Future"

-Angus