A software center for Fedora

Tomasz Torcz tomek at pipebreaker.pl
Mon Nov 28 09:04:26 UTC 2011

On Mon, Nov 28, 2011 at 09:46:59AM +0100, Simon Lukasik wrote:
> On 11/28/2011 05:09 AM, Rahul Sundaram wrote:
> > On 11/28/2011 01:39 AM, Bernd Stramm wrote:
> >>
> >> It is useful to point out that the space requirements are significant.
> >>
> >> You would want an implementation that does _not_ store all this
> >> information on installed systems.
> >>
> >> Separate the advertising part from the packaging part. Make the
> >> advertising part available for users that want to see it, and keep it
> >> out of the systems that want to avoid bloat.
> >
> > Other distributions have working implementations. You can look at what
> > they do and learn directly from it.
> >
> > Rahul
>
> While reading through this thread, I cannot get out of mind the first
> element of Fedora's mission reads:
>
> """
> The Fedora Project always strives to lead, not follow.
> """

  At the same time Fedora's mission isn't about cultivating NIH syndrome.
People interested in App Store would better check the results of other
distros work, instead of duplicating the work.

--
Tomasz Torcz                "Funeral in the morning, IDE hacking
xmpp: zdzichubg at chrome.pl    in the afternoon and evening." - Alan Cox