systemd: root device on iscsi

Jeremy Sanders jeremy at jeremysanders.net
Mon Nov 28 12:44:03 UTC 2011

Hi - is an iscsi root device a supported configuration setup with F16 and
systemd? I asked on #systemd, and got pointed here.

We're using dracut to boot diskless systems with root devices on iscsi. This
works fine for booting using Fedora 16 and systemd.

Unfortunately, on shutdown the system hangs. It stops the network interface
before mounting the root device read-only or stopping the iscsi service
(leaving the fedora iscsi target in a confused state too). On Fedora 14,
this worked fine with the old fashioned init system.

In the old init system you used to be able to put a "_netdev" flag in fstab,
which would fix this problem. This doesn't seem to work now.

Is this a simple bug or a bigger issue?

I could imagine we could write some sort of evil systemd service which would
run busybox (perhaps copied to tmpfs) to kill processes, remount root, kill
off iscsi and run halt or reboot depending on the run level, before the
network was stopped. That would be an awful hack (if it even worked).

Jeremy

--
http://jeremysanders.net/