A software center for Fedora

Mathieu Bridon bochecha at fedoraproject.org
Mon Nov 28 13:49:36 UTC 2011

On Mon, 2011-11-28 at 08:09 -0500, Chris Evich wrote:
> On 11/25/2011 06:18 PM, drago01 wrote:
> > On Sat, Nov 26, 2011 at 12:16 AM, Brendan Jones
> > <brendan.jones.it at gmail.com>  wrote:
> >>
> >> Are we in a race?
> >
> > Not sure what you are trying to say ... but the current situation
> > simply sucks from a users pov.
> >
> > We should focus on fixing it.
>
> I agree with others, we shouldn't "copy" the solution from other
> distro's.

Why not? Others copy us all the time when we do the right thing.

Blindly copying others is certainly not a good idea, but when others are
being better than us (and from what I saw, the Ubuntu Software Center is
way ahead of what we have), there's nothing wrong with adopting what
they did.

After all, sharing the work is one of the reasons why we make Free
Software. :)

> However I also agree that there's a common underlying
> usability feature here:  New Fedora and/or Linux users not making the
> leap between installing applications and installing packages (not that
> they're 1:1 anyway).
>
> In the interest of constructively addressing basic new user usability,
> here's an idea-
>
> How about a package (installed by default) that enabled the display of
> all Fedora-provided GUI app. ICONS in the menu, installed or not.

$ repoquery --file \*.desktop | wc -l
2609

Assuming there is only one application (.desktop file) in each of those
(which is probably a lower estimation), having 2600 entries available at
all time in a menu doesn't seem like a good idea to me.

--
Mathieu