The Fedora build system and the use of %{_unitdir} in specfiles

Richard W.M. Jones rjones at redhat.com
Wed Nov 30 16:17:56 UTC 2011

On Wed, Nov 30, 2011 at 03:20:41PM +0000, David Howells wrote:
> Michael Cronenworth <mike at cchtml.com> wrote:
>
> > > rpmbuild.
> >
> > There's your answer. The rpmbuild command would inherit all the packages
> > already installed on your system. You will already have systemd-units
> > installed because it is a dependency of just about every service.
> >
> > If you used mock or scratch building on koji (which kicks off mock) you
> > would catch any missing BuildRequires.
>
> Ah.  That explains it.  Can rpmlint be made to check for this?

Missing build dependencies are hard to find.  It's usually best to do
a scratch build.  I doubt rpmlint could reliably detect them.

I wrote a script called auto-buildrequires (it's in Fedora) which can
in some circumstances determine what BRs are needed for a package:

http://people.redhat.com/~rjones/auto-buildrequires/

It tends to overestimate the actual BRs though, and it doesn't take
into account of the "core" packages which are always installed.

Rich.