Critpath updates process broken for certain components

Hans de Goede hdegoede at redhat.com
Sat Oct 1 08:29:14 UTC 2011

Hi All,

Please note that I'm not claiming that the critpath process is broken
in general. But it does not work for certain components. To be specific
it does not work for Xorg drivers for non common hardware.

This morning bodhi send me 3 mails with the following subjects:
[Fedora Update] [CRITPATH] [old_testing_critpath] xorg-x11-drv-qxl-0.0.21-3.fc14
[Fedora Update] [CRITPATH] [old_testing_critpath] xorg-x11-drv-qxl-0.0.21-5.fc15
[Fedora Update] [CRITPATH] [old_testing_critpath] xorg-x11-drv-qxl-0.0.21-5.fc16

Of which the first update has been in updates-testing since 2011-04-23 !!!

I know that Adam Williamson uses spice enabled vm's and thus the qxl driver
for various QA tasks. I've asked him repeatedly to look at these, but all
to no avail. Note I'm not blaming Adam for this, we all need to prioritize
our time, so I completely understand that he has not gotten around to
looking at these. I'm merely trying to documents my efforts to make the
critpath procedure work for the qxl driver.

So there you have it, I hope that an update being stuck in updates-testing for
4+ months clearly show that some parts of the critpath process need to be re-thought.

Regards,

Hans