F-16 suspends my *desktop* after 30 minutes at the gdm , making it impossible to ssh in

Przemek Klosowski przemek.klosowski at nist.gov
Mon Oct 3 15:09:25 UTC 2011

On 10/03/2011 05:37 AM, Nicolas Mailhot wrote:

> 3. uses a high efficiency low-noise PSU, which does not like power ups
> at all (in fact restarting the computer now takes a dozen tries, with
> minutes waiting for caps to drain ; yes I could change the hardware but
> it works fine under load and a new PSU is how many years of energy
> savings again ?).

If your PS has trouble starting because of faulty caps, it's probably
not because they are draining---on the contrary, they are probably worn
out and leaky (electrically), causing trouble for the startup circuit
which wasn't designed for the extra losses. Often you can identify the
failing electrical capacitors because their casing is swollen or maybe
even burst open and leaking the actual electrolyte.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Capacitor_plague

You'd have to disassemble the power supply to see that, however, and
there are possibly dangerous voltages inside even for some time after
disconnecting the power, so I don't recommend doing that.

The bottom line is that the power supply is probably on the fritz and
likely to fail altogether. Decent power supplies aren't that expensive,
I recently got a nice, quiet one for around $30-40.