unison formal review

Toshio Kuratomi a.badger at gmail.com
Mon Oct 3 21:31:09 UTC 2011

On Mon, Oct 03, 2011 at 10:05:09PM +0200, Gregor Tätzner wrote:

> Another idea: Just put in the package *unison* the latest release and when a
> new shiny version has been released we provide a compat version, so move
> unison to *unisonXYZ* and update the *unison* package regularly.
>
> I suppose this would spare the review process every release?

As long as a compat package wasn't desired for every release.

I've only evaluated plans based on what other people have told me about
unison but I believe the problem was that we do end up wanting a compat
package (and also a forward compat package) for just about all unison
releases.  Since unison won't make wire-compatibility guarantees, if you
have unison-1 on latest Debian stable, unison-2 on Ubuntu, unison-3 on
Fedora-14, unison-4 on Fedora-15, etc, someone wants to be able to manage
files between some combination of any of these.  So you need to have compat
packages that can make that possible.

-Toshio