Fedora 16 beta vice Knoppix

Adam Jackson ajax at redhat.com
Tue Oct 4 21:54:56 UTC 2011

On Tue, 2011-10-04 at 23:45 +0200, Lennart Poettering wrote:

> Another bigger source of slowness at boot is currently Plymouth which
> also requires synchronous settling of devices (tough it's not as bad as
> LVM in that regard though, but costs too since EDID probing is
> apparently quite slow, and has every right to, but right now we delay
> the boot processes for that but we shoudl really do that in the
> background).

It's much slower than it needs to be.  As of last time I looked there's
still cases where a) we're using full EDID fetch as a proxy for
connected-or-not, instead of just a zero-length I2C read, and b) we're
not prefetching and caching EDID on hotplug interrupts, instead fetching
it every time it's asked for.

Even given all that, we should try the faster I2C speeds first and fall
back to slower.  And we're not.

Might or might not be able to fix all that up for F16 gold, but it's on
the todo list somewhere.

- ajax