Fedora 16 beta vice Knoppix

Tom Callaway tcallawa at redhat.com
Tue Oct 4 22:05:16 UTC 2011

On 10/04/2011 11:01 PM, JB wrote:
> I performed a simple home test, a comparison of startup and shutdown times of:
> - Live-CD Fedora 16 beta - systemd parallel boot, GNOME 3
> - Live-CD Knoppix 6.7.1 - microknoppix-fast-parallel-boot (based on SysV/LSB
>                           scripts), LXDE;

This is roughly analogous to:

"I performed a simple track test, a comparison of lap times of:
 - A family station wagon, tuned and optimized for everyday driving
 - A Formula 1 race car, tuned and optimized for track racing"

Ignoring the general irrelevancy of such an apples to oranges comparison
for a moment, the conclusion that I draw is this:

For a family station wagon, it isn't that slow.

****

That's not to say that there are no places that we can optimize Fedora
livecd performance, or that we should just be happy with how things are,
but if you want to be taken seriously, you cannot compare it to Knoppix,
whose entire focus and efforts are focused around generating an
extremely minimal and fast Live Linux experience, and you cannot choose
to compare different DEs.

I know I shouldn't feed the anonymous trolls. I guess the jetlag is
making me punchy, and I'm avoiding Chromium NativeClient.

~tom

==
Fedora Project