Fedora 16 beta vice Knoppix

Jef Spaleta jspaleta at gmail.com
Wed Oct 5 00:55:46 UTC 2011

On Tue, Oct 4, 2011 at 3:32 PM, JB <jb.1234abcd at gmail.com> wrote:
>  13837ms udev-settle.service
>  11392ms plymouth-start.service

if you use the plot option instead of blame option and produce the svg
of the service timing you get a better feel for what Lennart was
talking about with regard to the udev settle being problematic.

I'll try to break it down for you. Keep the following in mind when you
look over the svgs produced in susequent testing.

udev-settle.service essentially calls udevadm settle and that's all it does.
udevadm settle  takes FOREVER (15 seconds) to return during boot up on
my live media run  But its returns more quickly on on F15 install (3
seconds). I'll check a full F16 beta install soonish.

as a result udev-settle.service  its essentially a hard blocking
dependency in the dependency ordering through the
fedora-wait-storage.service which waits for udev-settle and completes
before local-fs.service starts which in terms comes before a lot of
other things via the dependency ordering (from visual inspection of
the Before After logic in the service files).  It's not just
plymouth-start service that waits for udev-settle.

So my question to use is. Is Knoppix at any point running udevadm
settle in its init in the knoppix you tried?  In the past Knoppix
releases  have also been impacted by udevadm settle taking a long time
as well. I let you google for the forum references. It's not just
Knoppix that's been impacted, other thin distros seem to have run
afoul of long udevadm settle init waits according to multiple 2011
google hits ive found. Times are tough all over it seems.

So my question to you is this, is the version of knoppix you are using
still calling udevadm settle as part of its init or is it delibrately
short circuited with a short duration timeout?

-jef