Why EDID is not trustworthy for DPI

Adam Williamson awilliam at redhat.com
Wed Oct 5 02:08:33 UTC 2011

On Tue, 2011-10-04 at 16:24 -0400, Casey Dahlin wrote:
> On Tue, Oct 04, 2011 at 04:17:08PM -0400, Martin Langhoff wrote:
> > For fedora users, as others have mentioned, perhaps a UI that lets
> > users test a couple of possible dpi values might be useful (for those
> > users so inclined). It does have to cross a good chunk of the stack to
> > work well, and seems like a lot of work to get right; but the xrandr
> > improvements are a start.

> Windows used to have a gui that would show a ruler on your monitor and
> say "hold a real ruler up to this and slide the slider until its the
> same size." Given what's been said about how windows handles DPI I can
> only wonder what it did, but it might be a nice thing to have.

I think it was more some specific app that did that, wasn't it? I'm
almost sure it was either Paint Shop Pro or the GIMP, because obviously,
actual physical accuracy is quite important there. Otherwise it was
something like Office. It was definitely some specific app where WYSIWYG
was important, not an OS.
--
Adam Williamson
Fedora QA Community Monkey