Dealing with circular BuildRequires?

Michael Schwendt mschwendt at gmail.com
Wed Oct 5 08:22:47 UTC 2011

On Wed, 05 Oct 2011 02:50:24 -0400, TL (Tom) wrote:

> So I started experimenting with updating libpng to a new release series,
> and soon found out that it was impossible to rebuild its dependencies.
> For example, cairo BuildRequires: librsvg2-devel, and librsvg2
> BuildRequires: cairo-devel, so there is no order in which I can rebuild
> them.  How the heck did we get into such a situation, and what should
> I do about it?  Neither specfile appears to have any provision for
> bootstrapping.

Could be an easy one nevertheless as it is not the library but just a
subpackage that adds the dependency:

  # repoquery --whatrequires librsvg2|grep cairo
  cairo-clock-0:0.3.4-5.fc15.x86_64

Perhaps the clock can be disabled at build-time easily. A switch added
to the spec file could then also disable the subpackage.

--
Fedora release 16 (Verne) - Linux 3.1.0-0.rc8.git0.0.fc16.x86_64
loadavg: 0.05 0.03 0.05