Why EDID is not trustworthy for DPI

Adam Williamson awilliam at redhat.com
Wed Oct 5 19:28:11 UTC 2011

On Wed, 2011-10-05 at 13:50 -0400, Peter Jones wrote:

> > You just did, sorry. ;) Hardware sucks. We know this. Fedora generally
> > takes the position that it's correct to engineer things properly and
> > regretfully explain that the hardware sucks when this causes problems,
> > not engineer hacks and bodges to account for broken hardware.
>
> That's a joke, right? You can't seriously believe this.

It's at least a *standard excuse* I've seen wheeled out when it happens
to be convenient.

Let's say there's something of a cognitive dissonance effect between the
cases where we say 'well, we engineered it right and your hardware
sucks, sorry' and the cases where we say 'well, too much hardware sucks
so we can't engineer it right for your hardware that doesn't, sorry'...
--
Adam Williamson
Fedora QA Community Monkey