how to have yum prefer one dependency over others

Adam Williamson awilliam at redhat.com
Wed Oct 5 20:44:41 UTC 2011

On Wed, 2011-10-05 at 06:54 -0400, Steve Clark wrote:
> On 10/05/2011 01:51 AM, Adam Williamson wrote:
> > On Sat, 2011-09-17 at 13:20 +0200, Kevin Kofler wrote:
> >
> > > (That said, there definitely needs to be a way to disable it, and maybe it
> > > should even be disabled by default. I personally always uninstall yum-
> > > presto. For me, it's much faster to just download packages than to rebuild
> > > them from deltas. Only users on really slow connections benefit from it.)
> > My desktop can rebuild deltas at ~3MB/sec. So even my really fast
> > internet connection is slower than delta rebuild.

> This is a meaningless comment to other people unless you provide
> information on what the specs of your desktop are or the speed of your
> internet connection.

No, it isn't, because Kevin rashly made an absolutely categorical
statement that 'Only users on really slow connections' benefit from it.
You don't need to know what speed my personal internet connection is to
know that 3MB/sec (that's mega*bytes*, remember, internet connections
are specified in mega*bits* - 3MB/sec is 24Mb/sec) is a hell of a lot
faster than many internet connections can manage, handily contradicting
his assertion. Yes, my desktop is very fast, but so what? Kevin's
statement wasn't conditional upon system specs.

(My connection is actually specced at 25Mb/sec, but it rarely manages
that to a Fedora mirror; I usually get about 8Mb/sec for package
downloads).
--
Adam Williamson
Fedora QA Community Monkey