Why EDID is not trustworthy for DPI

Matthew Garrett mjg59 at srcf.ucam.org
Wed Oct 5 21:00:36 UTC 2011

On Wed, Oct 05, 2011 at 01:34:43PM -0700, Adam Williamson wrote:

> I'm just saying it would probably pay off to put some thought *now* into
> how to manage things when higher resolution displays become so prevalent
> that they can't be ignored, rather than desperately scrambling to catch
> up when you eventually realize it's happened.

The likely outcome of higher density displays is that default font sizes
will get larger. It's a problem if and only if it's common to use
multiple displays of grossly different density, and fixing that problem
is impossible unless we have a huge number of technical advances that
nobody's even working on right now. It's worth thinking about. It's just
not something that we're anywhere near being able to implement, and as
such it's pretty unrelated to the original observation which is that
trusting EDID right now will just get you burned.

Matthew Garrett | mjg59 at srcf.ucam.org