About Feature enhancement Updates Policy

Adam Williamson awilliam at redhat.com
Wed Oct 5 21:08:18 UTC 2011

On Mon, 2011-09-26 at 11:42 -0300, Sergio Belkin wrote:

> >> "Abiword releases a new version that adds compatibility with WordStar
> >> 4.0 documents. It also completely updates the user interface to use
> >> pie menus. This would be a feature enhancement with a major user
> >> experience change, and would not be allowed. "
> >>
> >> Is that requirement honored? Because unless I miss something there is
> >> a lot of updates that include only enhancements. Is not my will to
> >> create a controversy but perhaps there is something in the guideliness
> >> that needs (at the risk of sounding repeating) update....
> >
> > Perhaps you mean 'enforced' ?
>
> Yup, I do, I wrote it in a hurry and my english sometimes is not so good :)

> Thanks for your explanation, it's somewhat better that I can read at wiki :)

Just to make sure something in Kevin's mail is sufficiently emphasized:
the thing that's bad in the Abiword example is not the 'feature
enhancement' part, it's the 'user experience change' part. The WordStar
4.0 compatibility is fine, it's the pie menus that are a problem. An
update which enhances features without changing the normal user
experience is not against the policy.
--
Adam Williamson
Fedora QA Community Monkey