GDBM upgrade in F17

Petr Pisar ppisar at redhat.com
Thu Oct 6 06:43:31 UTC 2011

On 2011-10-05, Tom Lane <tgl at redhat.com> wrote:

> My particular reason for asking is that I'm looking at a soname bump for
> libpng, and if repoquery is telling me the truth, there are about 1200
> packages that will need to be rebuilt.

Few days ago I've been asked by Marcela how should I cope with this
problem (just another library). I proposed this solution:

Package current shared library (and only the library, no development
files or dodocumentation or bundled tools) as new package. I call the
new package `shaddow package' not to confuse with already existing
`compat' packages (that should deliver full-featured environment as
header files).

This shaddow package will RPM-provide current SONAME, thus after
injecting this package into repositories, you can fluently upgrade
library in the original package and then rebuild all reverse
dependencies (i.e. applications like gimp) without any stress. The
shaddow package will get pulled into build root automatically by the
SONAME provide.

Once all depending packages are rebuilt, the shaddow package becames
unnecessary, but you can keep it living in repositories because it can
be reused on next SONAME upgrade just by moving then-current library
into the shaddow package.

-- Petr