tcplay: BSD-licensed alternative to TrueCrypt

Adam Williamson awilliam at redhat.com
Thu Oct 6 21:09:21 UTC 2011

On Thu, 2011-10-06 at 15:54 -0500, Richard Shaw wrote:
> On Thu, Oct 6, 2011 at 3:28 PM, T.C. Hollingsworth
> <tchollingsworth at gmail.com> wrote:
> > On Thu, Oct 6, 2011 at 4:54 AM, Richard Shaw <hobbes1069 at gmail.com> wrote:
> >> If I remember correctly it's not that TrueCrypt is non-free, but that
> >> the license is incompatible with Fedora and upstream was not willing
> >> to budge on that so it was re-branded instead.
> >
> > The TrueCrypt License is, in fact, non-free for several reasons:
> > http://lists.freedesktop.org/archives/distributions/2008-October/000276.html
>
> That's being rather pedantic... Yes it's considered non-free because
> of the screwy licensing agreement, however, the software is free to
> download and use, it is open source.
>
> Actually your link supports my last statement quite nicely.

Um. What? How can the software be open source if the license is not? The
license is what determines the status of the software.

At the time of that mail there were very definitely issues in the TC
license which prevented it from being Free or Open Source under the FSF
or OSI definitions. I believe the license has been changed since then,
though, and I don't know if it's been re-evaluated.

Spot is pretty familiar with the case, so he might be able to help out.
--
Adam Williamson
Fedora QA Community Monkey