Why EDID is not trustworthy for DPI

David dgboles at gmail.com
Fri Oct 7 00:43:12 UTC 2011

On 10/6/2011 12:41 PM, Bruno Wolff III wrote:
> On Thu, Oct 06, 2011 at 12:00:36 -0400,
>    Simo Sorce<simo at redhat.com>  wrote:
>>
>> My main use case here is video projectors, and in that case there is no
>> way on earth you'll ever know the DPI as it depends on the distance from
>> the wall, and again even if you knew the distance from the wall you'd
>> know nothing because the optimal DPI will also depend on the distance of
>> the crowd from the wall.
>
> What you really want to know is the resolution per angle or arc. And that
> would be relatively constant for a project regardless of distance from
> the surface it is projecting on.

What the ordinary user would like would be for Fedora to set the correct
resolution on the damn monitor. or at least offer a choice other than
*really crappy* or *even more crappy.*

I can think of several other Linux Distributions that can do this during
*the install*. No barriers to leap. No doors to open. No oceans to swim.
No mountains to climb. It 'just works'.

No distro names for politeness. Ask I and will post names. I can think
of three that I know for a fact that do this.

As good as it is there are things at which Fedora flat out sucks!

--

   David