BTRFS on LVM causes long fedora-storage-init run?

Tomasz Torcz tomek at pipebreaker.pl
Fri Oct 7 16:40:55 UTC 2011

On Fri, Oct 07, 2011 at 11:29:45AM -0500, Michael Cronenworth wrote:
> Richard Shaw wrote:
> > I rebooted a few times just to make sure it's not a scheduled fsck
> > (not that there is a full fsck for BTRFS yet) and the hard drive light
> > is on pretty solid the whole time...
>
> The fsck tool does nothing and will not be the cause of your delay. If
> your fs gets even one bit corrupted you'll lose everything (just FYI).
>
> I've had long mount times on a btrfs drive (no LVM) for a while now. I'm
> seeing mount take about 7 seconds to complete. I posted this delay to
> the btrfs list and my message didn't receive a single reply.

  Do you have caches enabled and fully built?  Remounting with
"-o space_cache,inode_cache" will enable them.  Then wait few minutes
for caches to be built (I/O will stop when they're ready).  Subsequent
mounts should be faster.

--
Tomasz Torcz              ,,If you try to upissue this patchset I shall be seeking
xmpp: zdzichubg at chrome.pl   an IP-routable hand grenade.'' -- Andrew Morton (LKML)