Firefox on Fedora: No longer funny

drago01 drago01 at gmail.com
Sun Oct 9 10:58:25 UTC 2011

On Sun, Oct 9, 2011 at 12:50 PM, Christoph Wickert
<christoph.wickert at googlemail.com> wrote:
> Am Sonntag, den 09.10.2011, 11:34 +0200 schrieb drago01:
>> On Sat, Oct 8, 2011 at 11:43 PM, Christoph Wickert
>> <christoph.wickert at googlemail.com> wrote:
>> > Since Mozilla switched to the new rapid release model, Firefox in Fedora
>> > is no longer fun: Every 6 weeks a new major version hits our stable
>> > release and breaks Firefox horribly:
>> >      * My favorite extensions (and actually the only thing that keeps
>> >        me using FF) stop working. In the last 7 weeks I had to pitch in
>> >        three times and update packages to get things working again.
>> >        Sometimes there is not even an update available upstream.
>>
>> Which extensions are you talking about? The ones I use never caused an
>> such issues.
>
> For example mozilla-adblockplus or chatzilla, also German language packs
> or dictionaries.

The later works for me No idea about chatzilla. Adblock plus (the
upstream version) works for me.

>> >      * Firefox falls back to English as there is no language pack
>> >        provided. I have to go go the FTP server and download and
>> >        install the XPI file manually.
>>
>> Something is broken on your system.
>> rpm -qV firefox should tell you that.
>
> rpm's verify gives no output, so everything is ok. Even if I create a
> new firefox profile I have the same problem.

Odd.

>> > So what can we do to improve the situation?
>> >     1. Can we bring back the language packs as part of the packages?
>>
>> They are already there.
>
> Indeed, they are there, but stopped working at some point. At least for
> me.

Sounds like some kind of bug you implied that they where removed "no
language pack provided" and  "bring them back" which isn't the case.
So file a bug please.

>> >     2. Can the FF maintainers make sure that all maintainers of
>> >        extensions get notified of changes *before* release of a new
>> >        package?
>>
>> Which maintainers are you talking about? Packaged extensions or
>> upstream extension maintainers?
>
> Packaged extensions of course, notifying upstream doesn't make much
> sense.
>
>> >     3. Can someone (I'm looking at you, QA) make sure all extensions
>> >        are still compatible?
>>
>> That's already one of the test cases but you can't expect people to
>> test every extension in the world.
>
> No, but the packaged ones. It is the FF maintainers duty to notify
> extension maintainers in advance [1]. If they are proven packagers they
> could also fix the extensions themselves. If not they should apply for
> co-maintainership.

That just reminds me while packing firefox extensions is not a good idea.