Firefox on Fedora: No longer funny

Christoph Wickert christoph.wickert at googlemail.com
Sun Oct 9 11:16:16 UTC 2011

Am Samstag, den 08.10.2011, 23:51 +0200 schrieb Reindl Harald:

> Am 08.10.2011 23:43, schrieb Christoph Wickert:
> > Since Mozilla switched to the new rapid release model, Firefox in Fedora
> > is no longer fun: Every 6 weeks a new major version hits our stable
> > release and breaks Firefox horribly:
> >       * My favorite extensions (and actually the only thing that keeps
> >         me using FF) stop working. In the last 7 weeks I had to pitch in
> >         three times and update packages to get things working again
>
> this makes me crazy too but as long as upstream is braindead
> and packing security-fixes only in major-version upgrades not solveable

I agree that upstream is ... erm, difficult these days, but whether or
not we allow the breakage downstream is our decision. We could at least
take care of the packaged extensions.

> >       * Firefox falls back to English as there is no language pack
> >         provided. I have to go go the FTP server and download and
> >         install the XPI file manually
>
> there must be something terrible worong on your system
> i never got any firefox in the past 6 years with was not in german
> language - independent of version / fedora-package, upstream package

I agree there is something wrong on my system because the langiage pack
is actually included in the rpm package. However the fact that it's not
picked up makes me think that I've hit a bug in FF.

Regards,
Christoph