Fedora 16 Final Release Criterion for Xen DomU

Adam Miller maxamillion at fedoraproject.org
Mon Oct 10 18:36:20 UTC 2011

On Mon, Oct 10, 2011 at 02:23:59PM -0400, David Nalley wrote:
<SNIP>
> I don't think we can dismiss the ability to have Fedora run on the
> hyerpvisor that powers (by most accounts) 80% of the public clouds.
> Amazon, RackSpace, Linode, Tata, IDCF, and virtually every other major
> compute cloud services provider is using Xen of some sort as their
> hypervisor. Even if that list was only Amazon AWS, I'd say it's still
> too large to ignore. Effectively if Fedora doesn't work on Xen it
> likely means it doesn't work in the cloud which hardly strikes me as a
> reasonable expectation. I'd personally argue that this should be more
> than a NTH, but my view tends to be pretty cloud-centric these days.
<SNIP>

Do any of those cloud providers ever run the stock image or do they roll
their own with a custom built kernel anyways? I don't have a lot of
insight into this but was just curious what the landscape is looking
like out there. I personally think it would be cool to have F16
boot/install as DomU out of the box, but I don't really have a dog in
the fight either way... just an idle curiousity.

-AdamM