Firefox on Fedora: No longer funny

Adam Williamson awilliam at redhat.com
Tue Oct 11 17:49:54 UTC 2011

On Sun, 2011-10-09 at 13:16 +0200, Thomas Spura wrote:
> On Sun, 9 Oct 2011 11:05:28 +0200
> Till Maas wrote:
>
> > On Sat, Oct 08, 2011 at 11:43:58PM +0200, Christoph Wickert wrote:
> >
> > >      3. Can someone (I'm looking at you, QA) make sure all
> > > extensions are still compatible?
> >
> > The problem is that testers seem to ignore test cases provided for
> > updates, because there is an test case to check for extension
> > compatibility.
>
> That doesn't help much.
>
> It would be great, when bodhi would allow me to add an updated
> mozilla-noscript to the firefox update, when I notice, that the new
> firefox upadate in testing breaks it.
> Otherwise, firefox is pushed to stable more faster, than
> mozilla-noscript and it's broken for some time, till it was long
> enought in updates-testing.

It is possible to add packages to updates; the issue is permissions. I'm
not entirely sure how it works at present, but it's _something_ like
'only people who are explicitly maintainers of one of the packages in
the initial update set can edit the update'. Notably, there is no
provenpackager exemption for editing updates: provenpackagers can't edit
any update as you might expect.

There obviously is a _legitimate_ question as to whether you ought to be
able to add your package into anyone else's update if you aren't a
provenpackager; it's not necessarily something we'd want to do. But I
think provenpackagers probably should be allowed to edit any update.

> It's NOT possible to push it faster out there, because I usually don't
> get much karma. For the last update, I got 2 new bug reports, that
> noscript is broken, but not a single +1 karma for the same issue,
> although linking in both bug reports and being in updates-testing
> anyways...

It does seem to be the case that negative karma is easier to come by
than positive, yeah. I'm not sure there's much we can do about this
besides 'game' the rules to account for it, as we're doing already to
some extent.
--
Adam Williamson
Fedora QA Community Monkey