yum update -- F16-latest => rawhide

Panu Matilainen pmatilai at laiskiainen.org
Tue Oct 11 18:02:41 UTC 2011

On 10/11/2011 08:16 PM, Jan Vcelak wrote:
> On Tuesday 11 October 2011 18:22:34, Tomi Leppikangas wrote:
>> Kashyap Chamarthy writes:
>>> Running Transaction Check
>>> ERROR with transaction check vs depsolve:
>>> /bin/sh is needed by groff-base-1.21-5.fc17.x86_64
>>
>> I have this same problem when trying to upgrade from fedora 15 to rawhide.
>> I noticed that groff-base package have 2 /bin/sh as dependency, is there
>> some whitespace or some other error?
>
> I probably missed that. And I will take a look at it.

This is a bug in rpm's handling of %pretrans dependencies. I'll try to
get it fixed tomorrow, BUT this also does point out a problem in the
package:

%pretrans scripts can almost never in real life be /bin/sh scripts,
because on initial installation, at the point where %pretrans scripts
get executed there is no shell! Or anything else for that matter. The
only kind of %pretrans script that always work are ones using the
embedded Lua interpreter, ie '%pretrans -p <lua>'. External interpreters
in %pretrans are /supposed/ to work in upgrade scenarios (barring this
bug, duh), but as in practise you can never guarantee a package is only
ever applied as an update on an already running system, %pretrans
scriptlets using /bin/sh or such external interpreter are not usable.

	- Panu -