Subject: IMPORTANT: Mandatory password and ssh key change by 2011-11-30

Digimer linux at alteeve.com
Wed Oct 12 18:12:50 UTC 2011

On 10/12/2011 02:10 PM, Peter Robinson wrote:
> On Wed, Oct 12, 2011 at 6:51 PM, Adam Williamson<awilliam at redhat.com>  wrote:
>>>
>>> I have to upload a *new* public key? Why should I have two sets of keys?
>>
>> Meant 'replacement'. You can only have one key in FAS, afaict.

>>> This is just insane. My existing password is 8 digits and
>>> alphanumeric, and given that I have to enter it over and over again
>>> (and prove "I'm human", another WTF) when creating updates I'm really
>>> wondering if I want to bother.
>>>
>>> Talk about putting up barriers.
>>
>> I can think of no reason why everyone shouldn't use a password manager.
>> It's just hands down a better way to do things in every respect. Eight
>> characters alphanumeric is not actually a very strong password; the
>> numbers on how long it'd take to brute force with e.g. EC2 are quite
>> tiny. And an account like yours certainly counts as high-value.
>
> In fact there are rainbow tables out there easily available of all 8
> alpha numeric combinations where you wouldn't even need EC2 to crack a
> lot of them. I know of a couple DBs where they have Terabytes of pre
> calculated password hashes and its just a simple string match.
>
> Peter

If FAS uses salts, and the DB hasn't been compromised, then rainbow
tables are useless. If re-encryption is used, then brute force will be
much slower.

Eight char passwords are not ideal, but they are also not trivially
compromised if the system uses relatively basic/simple precautions.
Again, baring a lead of the DB/salts therein.

--
Digimer
E-Mail:              digimer at alteeve.com
Freenode handle:     digimer
Papers and Projects: http://alteeve.com
"At what point did we forget that the Space Shuttle was, essentially,
a program that strapped human beings to an explosion and tried to stab
through the sky with fire and math?"