Subject: IMPORTANT: Mandatory password and ssh key change by 2011-11-30

drago01 drago01 at gmail.com
Fri Oct 14 07:43:05 UTC 2011

On Fri, Oct 14, 2011 at 6:33 AM, Callum Lerwick <seg at haxxed.com> wrote:
> On Thu, Oct 13, 2011 at 11:25 PM, Paul Wouters <paul at xelerance.com> wrote:
>> On Thu, Oct 13, 2011 at 10:55:59PM -0500, Callum Lerwick wrote:
>>
>>> Its the only right way to do it. As a general rule, a private ssh key
>>> should NEVER be transferred off the machine it was generated on.
>>
>> Yeah, who needs backups of private keys anyways!
>
> We're talking about SSH keys here. There's no web of trust to lose.
> Lose your keys? Generate new ones.

There are people that use their keys for more than one machine. You
people make it sound like it is so easy to change keys.
It is *NOT* PERIOD.

The only reason why one would ever have/need to do that is when the
key is compromised. Losing the key due to file system corruption or
hardware failure shouldn't be a reason for that.

But the whole discussion is pointless at this point.