RPM DB corruption with F-16 Beta

Panu Matilainen pmatilai at laiskiainen.org
Fri Oct 14 08:39:40 UTC 2011

On 10/13/2011 01:30 AM, Bojan Smojver wrote:
> This is probably not worthy of a bug report, but may still be useful to
> confirm a problem that someone else may have experienced.
>
> I resurrected an old notebook (HP Pavilion ZE4201) to test some stuff
> under relatively low memory conditions (768 MB on the box). Installed
> F-16 Beta i686 onto it with no trouble whatsoever.
>
> On first boot, went to update the system, only to get RPM errors of
> database in /var/lib/rpm needing recovery. The recovery (db_recover
> -h /var/lib/rpm) completely shot the database and after running rpm
> --rebuilddb the system was left in a state where vast number of packages
> are not being reported (including rpm itself). Out of about 1,400
> packages, only 400 were left in the DB.

In case you (or anybody else for that matter) manage to reproduce this,
please take a copy of the exact error messages and backup /var/lib/rpm
contents before attempting any kind of recovery. "It gave a bunch of
errors and recovery blew it up" is not sufficient information to attempt
analyzing what went wrong.

	- Panu -