No guidelines for packaging of udev rules?

Richard Shaw hobbes1069 at gmail.com
Mon Oct 17 13:34:58 UTC 2011

Out of curiosity I decided to see if I could package zfs from
http://zfsonlinux.org/. One thing I noticed is that there are both
udev rules in /lib/udev/rules.d and /etc/udev/rules.d and I could not
find any guidelines on Fedora for what directory was appropriate.

I did find a discussion from Arch linux saying that /lib/udev... is
for packages and /etc/udev... is for administrator customization since
rules from /etc will override any in /lib.

Do I have that correct? And does this need to be covered in the
packaging guidelines somewhere?

Thanks,
Richard