No guidelines for packaging of udev rules?

Lennart Poettering mzerqung at 0pointer.de
Mon Oct 17 14:07:54 UTC 2011

On Mon, 17.10.11 08:34, Richard Shaw (hobbes1069 at gmail.com) wrote:

> Out of curiosity I decided to see if I could package zfs from
> http://zfsonlinux.org/. One thing I noticed is that there are both
> udev rules in /lib/udev/rules.d and /etc/udev/rules.d and I could not
> find any guidelines on Fedora for what directory was appropriate.
>
> I did find a discussion from Arch linux saying that /lib/udev... is
> for packages and /etc/udev... is for administrator customization since
> rules from /etc will override any in /lib.
>
> Do I have that correct?

Yes. /lib is package manager territory and is where distribution shipped
rules files should reside. /etc is admin territory is where admins can
add and override rules files.

In fact, a package that installs rules files in /etc is almost
definitely doing it wrong, and should be fixed.

Lennart

--
Lennart Poettering - Red Hat, Inc.