Sourcing one spec from another permissible?

Richard Shaw hobbes1069 at gmail.com
Mon Oct 17 15:11:16 UTC 2011

On Mon, Oct 17, 2011 at 10:04 AM, Toshio Kuratomi <a.badger at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Mon, Oct 17, 2011 at 09:27:38AM -0500, Richard Shaw wrote:
>> NOTE (just for Jon :): This is for RPM Fusion but the question is a
>> technical one.
>>
>> I'm looking at packaging zfs for Fedora (via RPM Fusion) and it has a
>> single source package but contains two spec files. One for the
>> utilities (zfs{,-devel,-dracut,-test}) and one for the kernel module
>> (zfs-modules). The one for the kernel module is a mess of macros and
>> I'd rather not keep it inline with the main spec that I've gotten nice
>> and clean/readable.
>>
> Combining them would probably be the best way.  I understand wanting to keep
> the clean part clean and let the dirty part be dirty, but the upstream has
> chosen to ship both parts together in one tarball so it's the best way to do
> it.

That's the way I'm leaning. I think a lot of the problem my be
alleviated by cleaning up the spec. It has a lot of logic for
supporting other distros which I can remove (I'm planning EL6 and
Fedora only unless someone would like to see EL5 supported).

Also, it currently allows for spec'ing out the kernel to build against
or detecting it itself. I should probably use pick one or the other
(again using akmod-nvidia as a template). I think that will take a lot
of the "ugliness" out of the kernel module spec.

Thanks,
Richard