[Test-Announce] Note on live installs of F16 TC1

Adam Williamson awilliam at redhat.com
Tue Oct 18 23:31:49 UTC 2011

Hey, folks. So we pinned down that mysterious 'F16 Desktop live x86_64
install boots to a black screen' bug. Turns out that liveinst will
always corrupt a small amount of data on install with anaconda 16.21;
it's actually also happening in all the other live images that 'aren't
affected', it's just that the chunk of data it happens to corrupt on the
desktop x86_64 image is a couple of crucial system libraries so the bug
is really obvious. On the other images it corrupts files that are not so
crucial, so the system appears to boot correctly.

We have a fix for this now, thanks to Brian Lane, and it'll be in the
next anaconda build and in TC2, which we'll probably roll tomorrow. In
the mean time, if you're doing live installs of TC1 for testing, please
always use this updates.img:

http://bcl.fedorapeople.org/updates/746844.img

you can use an updates.img for a live install by passing
'updates=http://bcl.fedorapeople.org/updates/746844.img' as a kernel
parameter or by running 'liveinst
--updates=http://bcl.fedorapeople.org/updates/746844.img' to start the
live installer after boot. Even if you're not affected by the really
obvious case of this bug, anaconda _will_ be corrupting some other
system file on install, it's just not as immediately noticeable - so use
the updates image!

Thanks everyone.
--
Adam Williamson