Systemd unit file: Can/Should ExecStart and ExecStop run a script?

Richard Shaw hobbes1069 at gmail.com
Wed Oct 19 23:53:12 UTC 2011

On Wed, Oct 19, 2011 at 6:34 PM, Lennart Poettering
<mzerqung at 0pointer.de> wrote:
> On Wed, 19.10.11 18:28, Richard Shaw (hobbes1069 at gmail.com) wrote:
>> Well, as I had already mentioned I more or less relented, so I'm all
>> for the a/v group method. My main concern is how to apply this. If
>> someone has already been running mythbackend as root then all the
>> recordings will be owned by root, in which case mythbackend will be
>> unable to expire (delete) them.
>>
>> In order to fix this retroactively, I would have to do an sql query
>> using the login credentials for mythbackend and pull the recording
>> groups, then go to each recording group directory and chown all the
>> recordings. That's a mess.
>
> Where are these recordings stored? Don't they have a common root
> directory? Wouldn't a chown in that directory suffice? (it might be a
> bit unfriendly to chown them away btw, adding an ACL for your user might
> be a nicer solution)

No, there's no common directory. The great thing about mythtv is it's
flexibility, the bad thing about mythtv is it's flexibility. :)

MythTV does not make any assumptions about the storage needs of the
end user. It could be as simple as a Tivo equivalent, like myself, to
someone storing stuff on a SAN, or multiple drivers/arrays/SAN's, etc.
The storage directories paths are stored in the mythtv mysql database.

You're right, an ACL approach may be better. But my sql-fu isn't
really up to the task. For this to work:

1. mysqld would have to be running.
2. I would have to source /etc/mythtv/mysql.txt to get the variables
(DBHostname, DBUserName, DBPassword, and DBName)
3. Call mysql from the commandline, query the DBName for the recording
group path(s)
4. setfacl -m u:mythtv:rw -R /path1 /path2 /path3 /path[n]...

And I'd have to do all this in a failsafe way from %pre without any
user interaction...

Ack!

Richard