systemd - standard place to run stuff after the network is up?

Matthew Miller mattdm at mattdm.org
Thu Oct 20 11:46:09 UTC 2011

On Mon, Oct 17, 2011 at 07:10:04PM +0200, Lennart Poettering wrote:
> In general doing something like this is a bit backwards since networks
> come and go and come and go in todays world, and we also don't want to

This seems like a very desktop-focused view of things. I appreciate that
that's important, but please keep the server room in mind as well. In our
environment, the network is like electricity -- if it's down, nothing is
running. Having the software designed to be robust against unexpected
network glitches is very useful, but if design decisions are constantly made
with the assumption that networks are a random transient resource, we'll end
up conceding our place in the data center in exchange for an incredibly tiny
slice of the desktop pie.

--
Matthew Miller <mattdm at mattdm.org>