Systemd unit file: Can/Should ExecStart and ExecStop run a script?

Richard Shaw hobbes1069 at gmail.com
Thu Oct 20 14:03:15 UTC 2011

2011/10/20 "Jóhann B. Guðmundsson" <johannbg at gmail.com>:
> On 10/19/2011 08:29 PM, Lennart Poettering wrote:
>> The After=syslog.target is unnecessary these days and should be removed
>> to keep things simple.
>
> If you expect upstream to ship unit files then you must realize  that
> upstream needs to ship a unit file that works across distribution on
> what ever systemd release downstream is using hence removing options
> that are no longer necessary X release of systemd is not an option.

In this particular case it doesn't matter. Since a package can't
switch from sysv to systemd within a release, the earliest this can
occur would be F16 (very unlikely!) in which case the syslog.target is
no longer necessary.

More to my original dilemma, I think what I'm going to do is make the
change from running mythbackend as root by default to the mythtv user
(which is already created by the package) by default with the switch
from the sysv init script to systemd. I'll advertise the change as
best I can on the mythtv and rpmfusion user lists and handle the
situations that arise as best I can. I don't see any good way of
making the change.

Richard