systemd - standard place to run stuff after the network is up?

Adam Williamson awilliam at redhat.com
Thu Oct 20 19:27:13 UTC 2011

On Thu, 2011-10-20 at 21:22 +0200, Nicolas Mailhot wrote:
> Le jeudi 20 octobre 2011 à 13:08 -0500, Dan Williams a écrit :
>
> > If you architect a system that accounts for networking changing states,
> > then it works for *everyone*.  If you depend on networking always being
> > there, then it only works for some subset of users that have one type of
> > installation.  Having one architecture and one codebase (that handles
> > both cases) generally means easier maintenance, feature addition, and
> > fewer bugs.
>
> Really, the problem with hardware handling changes in Fedora those past
> years is not improved handling of changing states (which benefit every
> kind of system), it's the way all those changes have been progressively
> tied with the desktop session, and all the efforts to shut down
> everything when no one is moving the local mice, or to make every
> scenario single-device stopping the old one when a new 'better' one
> appears.

This is very vague and generally seems like an attempt to attack as much
as possible without providing any specifics that can be discussed.
Specifically, though, I see "and all the efforts to shut down
> everything when no one is moving the local mice", which reads like a
reference to the recent 30-minute suspend timeout, which for about the
fiftieth time *was simply a bug in a gsettings schema*, nothing more
sinister. It's already been fixed. Please stop referring to it as if
it's some sort of Grand Conspiracy. It is not.
--
Adam Williamson
Fedora QA Community Monkey