retire referencer in Fedora 16+ ?

Alex Lancaster alexl at users.sourceforge.net
Fri Oct 21 18:37:32 UTC 2011

Hi Kalev,

(Cc'ed to devel list to see if anybody else has suggestions).

As you've noted libgnomeuimm has been obsoleted in f16 and higher, and
referencer doesn't look like it's ported to use anything else. I filed
a bug in what appears to be a (potentially) active (but slow) upstream
to get some feedback about whether referencer could be built in the
future, before we retire the package completely:

https://bugs.launchpad.net/fedora/+source/referencer/+bug/877614

There is a branch that was started back in February to port to gio
and away from libgnomemm:

http://icculus.org/pipermail/referencer/2011-February/000534.html

There was a commit to it in August, but looks the mm dep is still there
in the configure.ac:

https://code.launchpad.net/~referencer-devs/referencer/amrlima_gio_port

Since I haven't had any responses on my launchpad bug report, I'm
going to reluctantly agree that we'll have to retire this package.
If development does restart, we can always revive the package.

Any other suggestions from the rest of the Fedora community?

Cheers,
Alex