Systemd conversion versus updates in back Fedora branches

Paul Howarth paul at city-fan.org
Mon Oct 24 08:42:07 UTC 2011

On 10/24/2011 04:52 AM, Tom Lane wrote:
> The current packaging guidelines require packages that update from sysv
> init scripts to systemd scripts to provide conversion triggers that are
> fired on the basis of an NVR comparison:
> https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Packaging:ScriptletSnippets#Packages_migrating_to_a_systemd_unit_file_from_a_SysV_initscript
>
> That is, we assume that we know that all releases with NVR<  some-cutoff
> use initscripts and all releases with NVR>= same-cutoff use systemd.
> The comments in the above-linked page acknowledge that this means it's
> impossible to upgrade the package to a newer upstream release in
> pre-systemd Fedora branches.  (You can't just move the cutoff value
> forward, because then an upgrade in F16 or later will mistakenly re-fire
> the update trigger.)
>
> I'm really getting to the point where that's a completely unacceptable
> restriction.  I've already blown off one mysql bug-fix release in F15
> because of this restriction, and I see they just released another one
> that I'll be unable to ship in F15 because the systemd guys failed to do
> their homework, and there are likely to be several more before F15 dies.
>
> The idea I have at the moment is to ignore the advice to check package
> version, and instead have the triggerun script check to see whether the
> mysql sysv initscript file is present.  I wonder whether anyone else has
> dealt with this and has working scriptlets?

You might try Ville Skyttä's scriptlets that were discussed on the
packaging list back in July and appeared to work satisfactorily in
testing but that thread seems to have died just before the point at
which updated guidelines could have been produced and adopted.

http://lists.fedoraproject.org/pipermail/packaging/2011-July/007846.html

Paul.