Systemd conversion versus updates in back Fedora branches

Tom Lane tgl at redhat.com
Mon Oct 24 13:48:47 UTC 2011

drago01 <drago01 at gmail.com> writes:
> 2011/10/24 "Jóhann B. Guðmundsson" <johannbg at gmail.com>:
>> On 10/24/2011 05:42 AM, Kevin Kofler wrote:
>>> FWIW, what the tomcat6 maintainers did is that they just ignored the
>>> guideline which says that you cannot migrate to systemd in an update and
>>> pushed this update:

>> Unless FESCO granted them exception this update might be pulled back
>> atleast that was the case with mdadm [1] if I can recall correctly.

> If it works this might not be a good idea, going back and forth just
> causes more pain for users.

FWIW, I'm totally on board with the idea of not switching to systemd in
F15 --- and even if I wanted to do that, it's pure luck that the problem
doesn't apply to F14->F15 upgrades as well, where such an option is
certainly not available.  The reason F14 escapes the problem is that
we went to a new mysql major release series in F15, something that
happens maybe once every three years or so.  (The last-minute upgrade to
postgresql 9.1.x in F16 is likewise the only reason why I'm not bitching
about this with respect to postgresql too.  And I suspect a whole lot of
other packagers are up against similar issues, or will be if they take
back-branch maintenance seriously.)

What I want is a packaging guideline that doesn't simply blow off
the problem of upgrading packages in pre-systemd branches.  It's not
an acceptable restriction, and I'm astonished that anybody ever thought
it would be.

			regards, tom lane