BEWARE: a problematic glibc made it to stable (F16)

Kevin Kofler kevin.kofler at chello.at
Mon Oct 24 16:50:02 UTC 2011

Adam Williamson wrote:
> We have lots of suggestions. As I've said at least fifty times, it's
> pointless going too far with the slapping of band-aids on the current
> karma system, because it's fundamentally too simplistic: it's never
> going to be perfect and there is a definite point of diminishing returns
> if we keep screwing with it.

Right. That's why we need to abolish it.

> What we need is the non-numeric karma system which Bodhi 2.0 is supposed
> to be bringing in. No amount of tweaking with the rules of Bodhi 1.0 is
> going to Magically Solve Everything, because '1, 0, -1' is simply too
> limited a vocabulary to express everything we need to express about
> updates.

Making the system more complex will only make it more broken, not less. You
just cannot predict all the possible kinds of feedback which come in. At the
current state of the art of technology, only a human can make this decision
correctly, so we should let a human, the maintainer, take it. And if the
maintainer demonstrates incompetence at taking these decisions, the
offending maintainer needs to be replaced. No amount of software can fix
incompetence.

        Kevin Kofler