Systemd conversion versus updates in back Fedora branches

Toshio Kuratomi a.badger at gmail.com
Mon Oct 24 17:06:43 UTC 2011

On Mon, Oct 24, 2011 at 06:49:04AM +0000, "Jóhann B. Guðmundsson" wrote:
> On 10/24/2011 03:52 AM, Tom Lane wrote:
> > I'm really getting to the point where that's a completely unacceptable
> > restriction.  I've already blown off one mysql bug-fix release in F15
> > because of this restriction, and I see they just released another one
> > that I'll be unable to ship in F15 because the systemd guys failed to do
> > their homework, and there are likely to be several more before F15 dies.
>
> Which failure is that supposed to be?
>
> The "systemd guys" are not the ones that came up with any kind
> update/upgrade/packaging policy so you are probably speaking of
> FPC/FESCO here.
>
> I think the general idea was that maintainer(s) open a ticket with FESCO
> where they asked them to grant exception to the general rule and be
> allowed to push unit files to the GA release should the need arise but
> feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.

That isn't the intention and that's not the problem that Tom is referring to
anyhow.

He's talking about the fact that the current scriptlets hardcode NEVR's into
the spec file.  Which means if the spec file is updated on an earlier
release is updated, the package in later releases also needs to be bumped.
It's more maintainer work but not an impossible thing to work with.
there's a proposal that hasn't reachecd draft stage that attempts to remedy
that.  Someone just needs to pick that proposal up and run the rest of the
way to the finish.

-Toshio