UsrMove feature (was Re: FESCo meeting minutes for 2011-10-24)

Chris Adams cmadams at hiwaay.net
Mon Oct 24 18:05:31 UTC 2011

> ===================================
> #fedora-meeting: FESCO (2011-10-24)
> ===================================
>   * Discussion about https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Features/UsrMove
>     (t8m, 17:26:45)

This sounds interesting (speaking as an admin that typically sets up
servers with separate, ro-mounted, /usr).  I'm not sure about moving
_everything_ to /usr, but I guess that's one approach.  Other Unix
systems I've used have had /bin as a symlink to /usr/bin, but not /sbin
(still kept core system maintenance tools in /sbin on root fs).  I'm
also not sold on eliminating sbin directories (I like having "system
admin" type stuff kept separate), and I don't see why that needs to be
rolled into the same feature (especially as just a footnote, not a
top-line change).

One big question though: can RPM handle such a change?  IIRC, when the
switch from /etc/rc.d/init.d to /etc/init.d was made, initially
everything was going to be moved and the old paths symlinked for a few
releases.  However, there was some problem with RPM that couldn't handle
switching an existing directory to a symlink, so that change was reduced
to introducing /etc/init.d as a symlink.  How will upgrades be handled
if this feature goes through?

--
Chris Adams <cmadams at hiwaay.net>