UsrMove feature (was Re: FESCo meeting minutes for 2011-10-24)

MichaƂ Piotrowski mkkp4x4 at gmail.com
Tue Oct 25 06:46:52 UTC 2011

W dniu 25 października 2011 08:32 użytkownik Matej Cepl
<mcepl at redhat.com> napisał:
> Dne 24.10.2011 22:27, Michał Piotrowski napsal(a):
>> Yeah, this solution has its drawbacks, but it also has undoubted
>> advantages.
>
> I am probably dumb, but could you tell me some *undoubted* advantage of
> using
>
> #!/usr/bin/env sh

You can alias sh to other shell.

I need to use this from time to time on some servers, for example
alias php='/usr/local/php5.3/bin/php -c
/usr/local/directadmin/data/users/ehorizon/php/eventhorizon.pl/php53.ini'
PATH=/usr/local/php5.3/bin:$PATH

Without this trick I would not be able to use php 5.3 cli on my shared hosting.

> (note, that couple of years ago, we were removing /usr/bin/env python
> from all Python scripts in Fedora packages, and replacing them with
> /usr/bin/python, because it was (rightly) agreed, that the moment Fedora
> doesn't have Python in /usr/bin we have much bigger problems to solve).
>
> Matěj
>
> --

Best regards,
Michal