UsrMove feature (was Re: FESCo meeting minutes for 2011-10-24)

Alexander Kurtakov akurtako at redhat.com
Tue Oct 25 19:03:26 UTC 2011

On 21:59:40 Tuesday 25 October 2011 Josh Stone wrote:
> On 10/25/2011 11:24 AM, Michał Piotrowski wrote:
> > W dniu 25 października 2011 09:26 użytkownik Michał Piotrowski
> >
> > <mkkp4x4 at gmail.com> napisał:

> >> Ok, no problem.
> >
> > I created feature page
> > https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Features/F18MorePortableInterpreters
> >
> > I can help with it. I only need to know how to find all scripts that
> > uses #!/bin/sh without installing all packages :)
>
> A reasonable approximation is "repoquery --whatrequires /bin/sh".  I
> count 5319 packages -- good luck...

Someone would have to find a "killer feature" to justify touching this amount
of packages :). Not to mention that such changes should happen upstream and I
(probably a number of other maintainers too) would not maintain local patches
for smth like it, but if someone convince upstreams to use the new way I
wouldn't mind it at all too.
Please everyone think first what amount of other work can be done for the time
needed to modify these 5319 packages.

Regards,
Alex