UsrMove feature

Björn Persson bjorn at xn--rombobjrn-67a.se
Tue Oct 25 21:36:57 UTC 2011

Tomas Mraz wrote:
> If there were any commands in
> sbin that are usable also for regular users then they should have been
> moved to bin.

Some examples of commands that are usable to unprivileged users:

ip route
ifconfig -a
lspci
lsusb
lsmod
ldconfig -p
mkfs ~/my_disk_image
fuser
lsof
mksock ~/my_socket
ntpdate -q -u some_time_server

I've always found it annoying when I want to list the computer's IP addresses
for example, and I have to prefix the ifconfig command with "/sbin/" or
"/usr/sbin/", and remember which of those two it should be.

It's particularly odd that I can use /sbin/mkfs to make a disk image without
privileges, but /bin/mount won't mount it even if I own both the image and the
mount point. The division into bin and sbin seems rater arbitrary and I see no
significant advantages with it. Thus I support the plan to move everything to
/usr/bin.

Björn Persson