UsrMove feature (was Re: FESCo meeting minutes for 2011-10-24)

Toshio Kuratomi a.badger at gmail.com
Tue Oct 25 23:11:46 UTC 2011

On Tue, Oct 25, 2011 at 10:57:59PM +0200, Harald Hoyer wrote:
> So do I. So let's come back to the original discussion.

I've added some points from re-reading the FHS and from this thread onto the
Feature page.  The immediate suggestion I have is that you should consider
splitting the / => /usr move from the /sbin => /bin move.  Although changing
either produces the same kind of pain, the benefits and drawbacks of each
have differences.  For instance, it doesn't seem like you've listed any of
your perceived benefits for moving /sbin => /bin on that page.  Reading
between the lines, I'm guessing that you think it's confusing to have the
programs split like that.  However, several people on the list have said
they'd find it more confusing to have them merged.

-Toshio