New bodhi bugfix release in production

Daniel P. Berrange berrange at redhat.com
Wed Oct 26 09:24:30 UTC 2011

On Tue, Oct 25, 2011 at 06:26:13PM -0400, Luke Macken wrote:
> On Tue, Oct 25, 2011 at 02:59:51PM -0700, Adam Williamson wrote:
> > On Tue, 2011-10-25 at 17:18 -0400, Luke Macken wrote:
> > > bodhi v0.8.3
> > > ============
> > >
> > > Yesterday I pushed out a new bugfix release of bodhi into production. The
> > > bodhi-client is currently on it's way to updates-testing for all releases.
> >
> > > Server fixes
> > > ------------
> > >
> > > - Default to update ID-based URLs
> > >     https://fedorahosted.org/bodhi/ticket/632
> >
> > In case you hadn't noticed, response to this has so far been pretty
> > negative. It seems people liked being able to tell from the URL what the
> > update actually *was*. I must admit I do to. I've resorted to creating
> > the 'old-style' URLs manually when I do lists of updates on test@ or in
> > trac, now.
>
> I'd be happy to revert this if the majority of people prefer the other
> format. Bodhi will still use the n-v-r style URLs for the
> updates-testing digests, but will default to the static IDs otherwise.
> The biggest problem with using the builds in the URL is that the URLs break if they
> are edited to add/remove/update them. I guess we could add some
> additional logic to try and be clever and find the update even if one of
> the builds is missing or modified.

If an update has the n-e-v-r changed, the n-e-v-r being replaced is not
likely to ever be used in a different future update. So each update could
maintain a list of all n-e-v-r's that have ever been associated with it.
Then make bodhi support URLs for all n-e-v-r's associated with the update
rather than only the latest. When sending URLs in email just use the
latest n-e-v-r. Thus changing an existing update will never break any URL

Regards,
Daniel