UsrMove feature

Ralf Corsepius rc040203 at freenet.de
Wed Oct 26 13:23:55 UTC 2011

On 10/26/2011 03:18 PM, Harald Hoyer wrote:
> On 10/26/2011 03:07 PM, Chris Adams wrote:
>> Once upon a time, Richard W.M. Jones<rjones at redhat.com>   said:
>>> Having said that, the split between /sbin and /bin is not a truly
>>> historical one, ie. it didn't exist in V7.  I think it was added by
>>> System V which did a lot of other strange stuff too.
>>
>> Well, historically, a bunch of system utilities were in odd places like
>> /etc and /usr/lib.  The idea of /sbin and /usr/sbin was to get compiled
>> executables out of those places (and to not clutter up the "normal" bin
>> directories with stuff users didn't need).
>
> For daemons, which should not be called directly on the command line, I
> would suggest to move them to /usr/lib/<packagename>/ anyway.

Why? Just to be establish your own standards in violent ways?

This use-case is exactly what /sbin or /usr/sbin traditionally have been
for.

Besides this, one may have the opinion, that no binaries should be
allowed in /usr/lib/. Fedora never enforced this rule, because RH has a
tradition of being sloppy wrt. /usr/lib/<package>.

Ralf